Many of you know that my daddy passed away a little over a week ago. He was 91 years old. A couple of weeks ago he was diagnosed with leukemia. Family members and friends started coming in quickly to spend time with him and tell him what a wonderful influence he had been in their lives. Messages and phone calls came too. Everyone wanted to tell him they loved him dearly and that he had made such a positive difference in their lives.
We sang hymns and worshiped with him.
We ate together with him at his favorite restaurant, Cracker Barrel. The picture above was taken about 2 weeks ago at that meal.
We prayed with him and loved on him.
Then before we knew it, he took a turn for the worse and passed on to glory.
Even though we are thankful for all the years we had with him, it doesn’t seem to be enough.
Even though we had a full week to love on him before he passed, it doesn’t seem to be enough.
His presence just brought peace and calm to our lives.
He was a gentle man and a godly man. I never heard him speak in anger.
His smile and laughter brightened the room.
He was an example for me to follow. I learned so much from him. We should all desire the type of legacy my dad left.
I could never put all I’ve learned from him in one blog. I've decided to share just 12 lessons I learned from my dad with you. These lessons were reflected so clearly in his life.
1. Christ should shine through everything we do……home life, work life, church life, school life.....every part of our life. Matthew 5:16 says, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”
2. Think first, then speak. Silence is sometimes a good thing. Proverbs 10:19 says, “In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is wise.”
3. If you walk with God daily, you realize that this earth is not your home. You long for heaven & there is no fear of death (even when you are given days or weeks to live).
4. Love and respect all people, even if you disagree with their lifestyle. When they feel your love and respect, you can influence their life.
5. Read your Bible for yourself, so you can learn what pleases God and what displeases God. God speaks through his word. He speaks to you and you talk to Him…..it’s all about the relationship. Seek after God and He will direct you.
6. Angry words accomplish nothing. Stay calm and levelheaded.
7. Stay humble. James 4:6 says, “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” We all have room to learn. None of us have arrived.
8. Always think the best about others. Don’t get caught up in gossip. It ruins your witness.
9. Treat your spouse like you adore them, complementing them several times a day. Make them feel special and honored every day.
10. When people talk with you, give them your undivided attention. It makes them feel loved.
11. Smile and practice being optimistic. Others will be attracted to you.
12. Don’t just talk the talk. Walk the walk. It speaks louder.
These 12 lessons I learned from my dad describe the type of man he was. Without him, the world is not the same to us. Because of him, we will be forever changed.
I miss you dad. Because of your influence in my life, I will see you again one day. I thank God for that promise.